Friday night is always a special night in our house we always treat ourselves to a nice meal...made from scratch of course. The meal usually consists of food items that aren't necessarily on the cheap side or aren't all that good for you but since I am on a healthy eating plan at the moment they fall more into the category of been expensive items.
So tonight's feast is a Nigella recipe Party Poussin's and Cous Cous or pous pous and cous cous as we call it in our house. Its so easy to make and absolutely delicious whilst its cooking it gives me change to fit in a spot of housework. Now I know some people may not agree with eating Poussin's but I love them. So here is how it goes - Serves 2 - 10mins prep/45mins cooking:
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6
2. Take 2 Poussin's rub with a little olive oil and place in a baking tray.
3. Take a lemon and cut into small portions and tuck into the Poussin and place the rest in the tray, take a whole bulb of garlic and break apart leaving the skins on again tuck into the crevices and scatter the rest in the tray.
4. Make a spice mix using - 1.1/2tsp salt, 1/2tsp paprika, 1/2tsp ground cinnamon pinch of sugar, then sprinkle over the Poussin's
5. Place in the oven and roast for 45-50mins or until the juices run clear.
1. Take a bowl and put in 150-200g of cous cous, 50g sultanas, 1/4tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp paprika, 1/2tsp cumin, 1/2tsp coriander, 1tsp salt and crumble in 1 chicken stock cube.
2. Pour over 3/4pint of boiling water, stir well then cover with cling film and leave to rest for 10-15mins.
3. Remove the cling film and separate with a fork, chop a handful of coriander and mix in.
Optional addition (but not to my taste): bash out the seeds of half a pomegranate and sprinkle over.
Once the Poussin's are ready serve with the cous cous and enjoy! Sometimes we have it with a bit of crusty bread, the roasted garlic is nice spread on it.